South Africa FX 01 December 2022
- This report tracks the progress of SA’s 18 Strategic Integrated Projects (SIPs), which are worth R340bn, and forms part of our focus on monitoring reforms to inform our trend growth forecasts.
- The SIPs cover social and economic infrastructure across the country and comprise of 62-sub-projects.
- The SIPs have 5 core functions:
- 1) to unblock opportunities
- 2) transform the economic landscape
- 3) create new jobs
- 4) strengthen the delivery of basic services
- 5) integration of African economies
- The SIPs comprise 5 geographically focused SIPs, 3 spatial SIPs, 3 energy SIPs, 3 social infrastructure SIPs, 2 knowledge SIPs, 1 regional integration SIP, and 1 water and sanitation SIP.
- The infrastructure project plans, which have been declared as strategically important, have been gazetted in order to fast-track approvals.
- There has been some improvement since our previous update (see SIPS Tracker, dated 25 May): 8 projects have been completed, 43 are underway, while 11 have been delayed or are on hold.