Covid outbreak in China worsening
Global cases update:
- Cases have surpassed 499 million, while the death toll has breached 6.2 million; recoveries are at 448 million.
- The US has 82.06 million cases, accounting for 17% of global cases; the US death toll is 1.0 million.
- India has 43.03 million cases and 521,722 deaths; Brazil has 30.15 million cases and 661,309 deaths.
- The outbreak in China is worsening, with new cases in Shanghai increasing by 26,000.
- Shanghai will adopt a strategy of “static management of the whole region” among its 25 million population.
- The number of new Covid infections in Hong Kong is on the decline.
- The WHO has commented that the global average of true infection numbers is believed to be 16 times higher than the number of confirmed cases reported.
- Globally, more than 11.4 billion vaccine doses have been administered across 184 countries at a rate of 22.8 million doses a day.
Africa cases update:
- Africa’s Covid-19 cases are at 11.79 million; fatalities are at 253,144.
- Morocco has 1.164 million reported cases, Nigeria 255,606, Ghana 161,048, Kenya 323,541.
- The WHO noted that two-thirds of people in Africa might already have had Covid.
- A WHO study released last week notes that around 800 million people on the continent might have already been infected by last September.
- With limited access to testing facilities for much of Africa’s population, many infections have gone undetected.
- Testing was also mainly for symptomatic patients in hospitals and travellers requiring negative PCR results.
South Africa cases update:
- SA currently has the 29th highest caseload, at 3.732 million; 828 new cases were reported yesterday.
- Active cases are at 12,668; Gauteng leads the way, with 4,942 active cases, followed by Kwazulu-Natal with 4,303.
- There were 0 Covid-19 deaths reported yesterday; deaths are at 100,096.
- 3.619 million people (or 97%) have recovered from the virus.
- 24.060 million tests have been conducted since 5 March 2020; 17,739 tests were conducted yesterday; the SA positivity rate is 5.3%.
- 34.146 million vaccines have been administered in SA to date; 5,845 vaccines were administered yesterday.
- 17.639 million people, or 44.32% of the SA adult population, have been fully vaccinated.
- President Cyril Ramaphosa last week declared an end to the state of disaster which was implemented more than two years ago to manage the pandemic.
- Transitional provisions such as wearing of face masks at indoor public spaces and limits on gatherings will remain in place until new regulations have been promulgated.
- Ramaphosa noted that “the end of the state of disaster is a firm commitment to rebuild our economy”.